Over the past year, the OneNote Team have steadily pushed out an impressive number of new features and improvements including over 36 new features for education. This blog includes an overview of those new features with links to relevant announcements and coverage by the OneNote community.
OneNote for Windows 10
The changes to this OneNote app have been nothing short of impressive. Summarized, you can now:
- Add Special Ink Effects to your pages, such as the immensely popular Rainbow Ink (Office 365 accounts only). Microsoft has made a special page about OneNote Ink available this year. Other ink effects are Galaxy, Gold and Silver. You can also select the pencil ink type. The pen thickness of ink objects can easily be adjusted.
- Insert perfect geometrical shapes with Shape Recognition (also available in OneNote for iPad).
- Use the Ink Math Assistant to solve math formulas and equations
- Replay Ink and other content. Watch an animated GIF demo.
- Share a view-only link to an individual page through Share > Get a Link. Unique for OneNote for Windows 10 and only for notebooks stored on consumer OneDrive. Recipients can open this page in a browser. Example: Emoji Keyboard sample page
- Change page background color and change table cell color
- Apply a highlighter
- Clear formatting from a piece of text
OneNote Web Clipper
July and August saw substantial improvements for the Edge, Firefox and Chrome browser extensions, allowing you to
- Clip YouTube and Vimeo videos directly, allowing for instant in-page playback
- Easily clip PDF documents
- Preview your clip and adjust font options, custom page title, notes and a yellow marker to highlight text
- Add multiple region screen clips to a single web clipping
- Bookmark pages by sending just the page title, URL, the first paragraph and a note to OneNote.
- Right-click an image or selected text fragment to open the context menu and send it to OneNote
OneNote all clients
- Embedding live content easily ranks among the most popular new OneNote features for 2016. You can play back videos from YouTube, Vimeo, TED and Office 365 Videos, display Sway and Office Mix presentations, even execute Repl.it programming code snippets and run GeoGebra applets (how-to by MIE Expert Kurt Söser). To learn some cool and undocumented OneNote embedding tricks, watch the Embedding Live Content video. Also keep an eye on the Microsoft Support page for video embedding in OneNote.
- You can now add alternative text to pictures in all OneNote clients. This is a very helpful and important courtesy for people with visual impairments who rely on a screen reader.
OneNote for Mac
- The new inking features for pen tablets in OneNote for Mac launched this year were welcomed by many. Learn more through the Microsoft Support page about the inking implementation in OneNote for Mac.
- Grid and lined-page backgrounds
- Arabic and Hebrew RTL support
- Enable Experimental Features in the Settings panel (also available in OneNote for Windows 10 and OneNote for iPad). These features affect the layout and location of the section tabs.
- Accessibility Checker
- File Printout support
- Insert Meeting Details
- Office Add-In support. For currently supported add-ins see the Add-in Store for OneNote. A very cool example is the Emoji Keyboard one. Developers who’d like to create their own Office Add-in are advised to visit this post: Office Add-ins on OneNote Online (in Preview) and watch the Ignite video Build custom applications with Microsoft OneNote by Fanguang Kong and Han Jung from Microsoft.
OneNote for Android
The mobile app for Android is completely being overhauled in close collaboration with the OneNote for Android Beta Feedback community on Google+. The first results of the hard work were announced publicly in October:
- A top request from OneNote for Android users was fulfilled in October: you can now unlock OneNote sections that were password-protected from another OneNote client. In the same post, the following features were announced:
- Audio recording
- Multi-window support
- Open embedded PDFs and other document types
OneNote in Education
In the video The Future of OneNote in Education released by Mike Tholfsen to the occasion of the Learn OneNote Conference last November, several exciting plans are revealed for OneNote Class Notebook, Learning Tools and the add-ins:
OneNote Class Notebook
- Launch of Class Notebook Tools for OneNote for Mac. Microsoft also provided an elaborate support page for this implementation of Class Notebook.
- Save-A-Copy feature, to let students and teachers export a Class Notebook to their personal OneDrive account
- Significant Class Notebook update, offering new features, such as teacher-only section groups, Manage Notebook, Lock Collaboration Space section group
OneNote Staff Notebook
In November, the following improvements were launched for Staff Notebooks:
- Staff notebooks now can be managed through the Manage Notebook button in the Class Notebook add-in
- Lock the Collaboration Space section group
- Create a section group only accessible for Staff Leaders, just like the Teacher-only Space in Class Notebooks
- Add or rename student sections
Learning Tools add-in for OneNote
- The popularity of this add-in started with its preview announcement in January, including the wildly raved Immersive Reader and Dictation features that aim to improve reading and writing experiences for students of all abilities.
- Language, user interface and other improvements were announced in July. A nifty new option is to have the narrator in the Immersive Reader tool seamlessly switch from one voice to another, for example from French to English and back again. For a quick impression of this feature, watch the video Learning Tools for OneNote multi-lingual demo.
OneNote in Education interactive video guides
OneNote 101: Take More Creative and More Organized Notes with Microsoft OneNote – Melanie Pinola for Zapier.com (Dec 2016)
Follow us on Twitter
@OneNoteEDU – the official Microsoft OneNote in Education account
@Microsoft_Edu– the official Microsoft in Education account
@OneNoteC– Guest post author Marjolein Hoekstra from OneNote Central
We’re inviting all OneNote avengers to also share #Bestof2016 OneNote experiences in our upcoming OneNoteQ TweetMeet on December, 6th at 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM, PT.