March 5, 2018
“I see my role as a guide for my students in this fast-changing, authentic world.” – Karolina Antkowiak, Poland
Teacher and Trainer
Pogorzela Secondary and Vocational Schools
There’s no question that today’s students spend a lot of time on their devices. But how to do you get them to use that time wisely? For Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert (MIEE) Karlolina Antkowiak, that’s the challenge and thrill of being an educator.
“An important thing to me is to show my students that modern appliances and new technologies can inspire them to study, motivate them to work, and increase their knowledge,” Antkowiak tells us. “I teach how to create interesting presentations, find sources, and locate pictures. This way, the knowledge they are getting is easier to adopt, motivates them to continue searching, and encourages them to learn more about the topic.”
Antkowiak, who knew she wanted to be a teacher when she was in primary school, is passionate about new technologies and works to pass that passion on to her students. One of Antkowiak’s favorite ways to use technology is to have her students prepare Sway presentations.
“What makes me extremely happy,” she says, “is that they use the presentations not only in my lessons, but in other subjects. Thanks to Sway, our lessons are interesting, the students are motivated and those who listen are interested.”
Beyond presentations, Ankowiak is committed helping her students embrace programming and other technologies that will help define their future jobs.
“I use robots to show the rules of programming, and 3D-printers as a tool to create spatial models which are printed using a three-dimensional printer,” she explains. “I see my role as a guide for my students in this fast-changing, authentic world.”
Connect with Karolina on her blog, or through her Microsoft Educator Community Profile.
About Karolina Antkowiak
- Educational background: Higher Pedagogical School in Zielona Góra – mathematics; Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan – physics and computer science; University of Zielonogórski in Zielona Góra – internet technologies and computer networks; Higher School of Humanities in Leszno – education management
- Favorite Microsoft product, tool, technology: Office 365
- Website I check every day: www.gazeta.pl; education.microsoft.com
- Favorite childhood memory: As a child, while learning to ride a bike, I had some hard times. I couldn’t get the balance and fell down far too often. I tore off a lot of skin and got hundreds of bruises. Therefore, my sister used to call me a Violet Princess.
- Favorite book: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy – J.R.R. Tolkien
- What is the best advice you have ever received? Be yourself no matter where you are and what you do.