Happy World Read Aloud Day! Skype in the Classroom is kicking off our annual month-long celebration of reading, writing and storytelling today, aimed at inspiring a lifelong love of reading and writing for your students.
In partnership with LitWorld and literacy partners like Penguin Random House, Scholastic, Little Brown Young Readers, Arbordale, Candlewick, Abrams Publishing, and more, we’re bringing into your classroom hundreds of guest speakers, including authors, illustrators, storytellers.
“One of the best connections our scholars make when we Skype with authors is seeing a variety of personalities sharing their passion for writing. They’re eager to learn more about the writing process, what a day in the life of an author looks like and finding out any secrets pertaining to their upcoming books,” says Karey Killian, K-12 Teacher Librarian from PA, USA.
This year will be extra special as we are partnering Little Brown Young Readers and will be wrapping up our celebrations with a free broadcast event and live Q&A. Classrooms and families are invited to join us on March 6th to meet Cressida Cowell, author and illustrator of the hugely popular “How to Train Your Dragon” series. Cressida will inspire students to tap into their boundless imagination and will show how using character development and details in stories make them more believable and fun.
The broadcast will air twice on Wednesday, March 6th at 9:00 Eastern Time/ 14:00 GMT and 13:00 Eastern Time/18:00 GMT followed by live Q&A chat with Cressida each time. On-demand will be available later for any classes or families who wish to attend.
Now, discover below all the creative ways your classroom can get involved in this fun-filled literacy month and we hope that you’ll join us for this celebration to add some extra inspiration and magic to your students’ learning!
- Invite an author into your classroom to share the love of books and reading throughout February.
- Register for the How to Train Your Dragon broadcast and live chat with author & illustrator Cressida Cowell on March 6 to stretch your students’ imagination – it’s 100% free.
- Find a classroom to play Mystery Skype with and read aloud a book or find a literacy related Skype Collaboration!
- Enter your class or library to win a FREE Skype visit with the bestselling author of Ordinary People Change the World series, Brad Meltzer and free books from Penguin Random House- read Terms & Conditions
- Join us online for the #MicrosoftEduChat Tweet Meet on January 19th at 10am PT to share your thoughts and experience on how you cultivate the literacy skills of your students.
WOW! That’s great! And are there any resources to help me get started?
- Once you register for the free broadcast event, explore all the available “How to Train Your Dragon” resources!
- Celebrate your participation to the event with an “Honorary Dragon Trainer” certificate of participation signed by the author and illustrator Cressida Cowell!
- Talking to an author? Download the Connect with an author Activity Plan to prepare your students for your Skype call and celebrate it by distributing this certificate to your students.
- Track your adventures with the Skype in the Classroom Passport!
And as always, share your favorite moments with our global community @Skype Classroom with #Skype2Learn #MicrosoftEDU to inspire others to connect and bring the world to their classrooms!