Using technology in the English classroom is unavoidable. At some stage technology becomes essential for outcomes to be achieved. The new English component of the Australian Curriculum has a specific focus on multimodal texts. These multimodal texts cannot be made without hands on keyboards and eyes on screens.
The General Capabilities, namely ICT capability, critical and creative thinking, ethical understanding and literacy also bring the use of technology to an integral role in all English classrooms.
So what Windows 8 apps can be used to support English Teachers to lead learning that is engaging, develops ICT for learning skills and answers the needs of the new curriculum? Below is a list of apps that might be used in the four areas of Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking at 4 age levels.
- P-2 – Living Stories, Dr Seuss Interactive Reading Books, iStoryBooks
- 3-6 – NSW Premier’s Reading Challenge, Free Books,
- 7-10 – NSW Premier’s Reading Challenge, Free Books, Kindle,
- 11-12 – Free Books, Kindle, Kno
- P-2 – nSquared Letters, nSquared Make Words,
- 3-6 – Project Story Time, Kids Story Builder, Paint a Story, Scoot Pad
- 7-10 – OneNote 2013, Comic Director, Office Web Apps – Word, Novamind
- 11-12 – Qool, OneNote 2013, Evernote, Office Web Apps – Word
- P-2 Living Stories, Dr Seuss Interactive Reading Books, iStoryBooks
- 3-6 ScootPad
- 7-10 Audible, Free Books, Kindle
- 11-12 Audible, Free Books, Kindle
Speaking / Presenting
- 3-6 – Office Web App PowerPoint, AnimateIT, Record Voice and Pen
- 7-10 – Arc Soft Showbiz (movie making), Office Web App PowerPoint, ZoeTrope, AnimateIT
- 11-12 – Presentation Next, Arc Soft Showbiz (movie making), 9 Slides Office Web App PowerPoint
The above list may not cover all necessities of the English teachers, but the hope is that one or two apps will inspire the use of Windows 8 in your classroom next year. Below are a few links to some other boards of apps that may support learning in your classrooms.
If you a have an app that you would recommend to fellow English teaching colleagues, please leave us a comment and we will include it in the Pinterest Board.
Want to be a Guest Blogger? If you would like to share how you use Microsoft in your classroom, please email [email protected] and tell us your idea for a post.